Sunday, April 14, 2013

Oh Really...

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it."
William Arthur Ward

Oh really?

The previous quote could be an example of some of the so-called positive jib jabber toted everywhere these days.  When did all this affirmative crap begin?  Perhaps as early has the 60's with the decade's "free love" message that failed miserably, but heh, why remind people of such sad events? 

Does this mean I don't believe in achieving greatness or dreaming big.  NO!  I do believe we need faith in our abilities and even in miracles, but we need to temper our dreams with common sense and humility.

Let's examine the above quote...

It seems okay upon first glance, but with deeper reflection and no context, it's just dumb.  Why, you ask?  (you did ask, right?)  Because I can imagine and dream anything.  Any...thing...

  • I can dream of becoming a ballerina
  • I can imagine being a Nobel prize winner
  • a famous movie star
  • marrying Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling...
  • I...am...a...wing... nut...
And only the last one is possible if I really believe any of that worthless nonsense!


Now I'm sure William Arthur Ward wasn't referring to dreaming or imagining what would be ridiculous!  Put in context, I'm sure he was simply encouraging people to dream and imagine what is realistic for them, not go off half cocked believing the impossible. There are some things we just cannot do and never will.  Nor should we...

But, I will admit that at times (if God's will) the impossible does happen and miracles prevail, but under normal circumstances we may have our heads in the clouds, but our feet need to be planted on Terra firma.

We are born equipped to do certain things in our lifetime and sadly many of us fail to do what we are meant to do. So, if Mr. Ward's quote is put into context of what we are truly capable of, then ...
  • I can become a ballerina
  • I can become a Nobel prize winner
  • I can become a famous movie star
  • I can become Tom's, Brad's or Ryan's wife
And if I'm I wing nut, I will run around trying to become, do, dream, whatever that I cannot now nor ever will...do!

Just saying...

6 comments:

  1. This nonsense drives me crazy too! You can do what ever you put your mind to is one I can't stand. No I can't!!!! And thats not a bad thing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Some things are just not within us to do and no, it isn't a bad thing.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Lizzie! Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice you stopped by, Kelly. Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like grandpa's saying A LOT better - shoot for the stars you may only land on the roof but if you shoot for the roof you'll never get off the ground!! MUCH more real!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!